About Us



We are a group of writers based in Dorchester, Massachusetts.

In art history, pentimenti are painted-over images which reappear once the surface layer begins to fade. These ghostly images tell a story about the artist's evolving thought process.

We as writers mine our pasts, imaginations, and experiences to uncover our own pentimenti, the images that we paint over and hide but which eventually resurface one way or another. We come from different places and generations, but share a belief in the power of writing to challenge, heal, delight, and inspire.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Survivor



I am a survivor, from the past, present, and future.
I am from the legacy of strong women, determined to move 
(from the outhouse to the big house).
I am from faith gained and nurtured dreams that soar like eagles.
I am from the name that means Rock, strong, unmovable, and unshakable.
I am a survivor

Life’s pains have caused me to ask a few questions, like:
“Who am I?  Why am I here?”
Does my color define me?
Does my size cause me to be ignored?
Does my womanhood, strength, and determination offend thee?
I am the one who has walked quiet.
I am the one who has been forced to be invisible.
Forced to hold my peace.
Forced to suppress who I am and want to be so others could rise.
I am a survivor

The time has come for me to make a difference!
To rise up!
Be counted!
Be respected!
To silence the noise of the past and move ahead!
I am a survivor

In this season all misunderstandings will work themselves out.
In this season I will birth out the stored creativity that has been locked within me.
In this season I will forgive myself of mistakes, mishaps, and failures that will one day turn to successes.
Life is not a dress rehearsal; I must ask my self, “How will history remember me?”
I will leave a legacy of faith, strength and determination.
I am a survivor

Shattered dreams (like a glass broken into tiny pieces).
Divorce, “felt like a hot knife cutting through butter” but the river of living
water has come to put me back together again.
Single, how will I raise my children so they will be a beautiful portrait and walk colorful in their gifts?
Cancer, stealing life from my brother and mother, “the foundation is gone who will lead the way?”
Lost, lonely but not alone.
Sad...
But I am a survivor

Emotions blowing around like a leaf in the wind.
I know now that I will have to:
Laugh because it’s good medicine.
Find Joy because it’s my strength.
Run to peace for it will sustain me.
When weak, God will make me strong.
When alone (God will not leave or forsake me).
When broke (I will give).
When troubled (I will pray).
When lost (God will guide me)
Weeping may endure for a night but joy will come in the morning.
It is morning time!!!
It is morning time!!!
It is my morning time!!!
It may feel and look like I am on the bottom, but I’m coming up real soon!
Because I am a survivor

I am the one who pain tried to silence.
I am the one whose troubles tried to kill.
I am the one where life almost lost its meaning.
I am the one who never fit because I was not white enough, not rich enough, not smart enough, not beautiful enough, not small enough.
I am the one whose voice will silence the pain; For me first, my children and then for others.
I am the one who stands before you now...
No longer broken...

BUT A SURVIVOR

1 comment: